The Ultimate Guide to Women's Jeans Styles and Fits
Shopping for jeans is easy when you know about the different sizes, fits, and styles. There are women's jeans for every body type, and they come in washes ranging from pale blue to dark indigo and black. Here’s what you should know about this all-season wardrobe staple:
Women’s Jean Sizes and Fits
Find your perfect denim fit by taking your measurements. You’ll need to know your waist, hip, and inseam measurements to find out which of these categories your jean size falls under:
- What are Petite Jeans? This jean size has a shorter inseam than regular and tall jeans. For example, a size 6 petite jean has a rise of 26 inches, while regular measures 27 inches and tall measures 28 inches, comparatively. Petite jeans are designed to fit women with an average height of 5’4” or under.
- What are Regular Jeans? Regular jeans are cut to fit women who are 5’5” or taller. Regular waist sizes can range from approximately 25 inches to 31 inches. Hip measurements can range between 34 and 46-1/2.
- What are Plus-Size Jeans? This jean size is for waist sizes ranging from 36-1/2 inches to 59 inches approximately, and hips measuring between 44-1/2 and 64 inches. Plus size jeans come in petite and tall sizes to fit every height range.
- What are Tall Jeans? If regular or plus-size jeans aren’t quite long enough, you may fall into the tall jean size category. Tall-size jeans are approximately one inch longer than the regular size.
- What are Curvy Fit Jeans? This denim fit is designed to fit waist sizes ranging from 25-1/2 to 38-1/2 inches and hip sizes ranging from 38 to 49-1/2 inches. Curvy fit jeans are designed for coverage and comfort—they won’t gap in the back when you bend or sit.
Women’s Jean Styles
When it comes to choosing a jean style, it’s a matter of personal preference. The following jean styles come in every size and fit, so all you have to do is select the pairs you like best. Many of these jean types come in an assortment of washes to suit every wardrobe and occasion.
- What are Straight Leg Jeans? The straight-leg jean is a classic style that looks great on everyone and goes with lots of top styles. These jeans fall straight from the waist to the ankle with no flare—you can find slim-fit straight-leg jeans and those with a baggier, more relaxed fit. Wear straight leg jeans with flannel shirts for a casual outfit that works for many fall occasions. In the winter, an oversized cable-knit sweater provides warmth and complements the streamlined look of this denim style.
- What are Skinny Jeans? As the name suggests, this jean style has a close-fitting design. Skinny jeans are made from sturdy cotton fabric and enhanced with Elasterell and/or Spandex for plenty of stretch. They come in mid-rise and high-rise styles, and some are equipped with compression panels for a streamlined effect. Skinny jeans pair well with tunics. The billowy cut and past-the-hip length of most tunic sweaters and tops complement the sleek fit of the skinny jean. You can also wear skinny jeans with button-down shirts in solid colors or pretty prints. Another outfit idea is to wear your skinny jeans with a knit top and blazer for a semi-dressy style.
- What are Jeggings? A similar pant style to the skinny jean is the jegging. If you love the comfort of leggings with the structured look of denim, you can’t go wrong with a pair of jeggings for women. They’re made from soft, stretchy fabric with elastic waists for freedom of movement and all-day comfort. You can wear jeggings with any top you’d wear with skinny jeans. In addition to pairing well with tunics, sweaters, and blouses, jeggings can be worn with comfy hoodies or crewneck sweatshirts and sneakers for an on-trend athleisure style.
- What are Boot-Cut Jeans? This denim style is made for wearing with boots, as its name suggests. Usually, you’ll find this type of jean in the classic mid-rise waist style. Boot-cut jeans have a flare at the bottom, which allows room for cowboy boots, ankle booties, or any other boot style. You can also wear boot-cut jeans with your favorite flat shoes or heels. All kinds of tops go with boot-cut jeans. This denim style has a casual, ’90s-inspired look that goes well with fitted tees and knit tops. Layer a flannel shirt over a solid-color top to complement the retro vibe of this jean style.
Other Versatile Pant Styles
The best way to find out which jeans are right for you is to try lots of different pairs. Mix-and-match tops and shoes with different denim styles to create lots of outfits. There are plenty of other pants you may also want in your closet, including soft, comfortable leggings and stylish corduroy slacks in rich earth tones. Cropped pants—such as capris—are a must-have for the warmer months. Shop around to find jeans and other bottoms for every occasion.