Are Leggings Good for Winter?
Depending on where you live, leggings can be a year-round staple. But once the colder months roll around, most people tend to toss legging to the back of their drawers and forget about them. So are they losing endless opportunities to wear leggings during winter? First, let’s try to figure out whether or not leggings are good for winter outfits.
When to Wear Leggings in Winter
A quick Pinterest binge or Instagram feed scroll is filled with influencer inspiration from every city in the world. But, if you look closely, you might be surprised to find that many of them rock leggings all year, no matter the season! Leggings are supremely versatile, and with a few style tricks, you can get them ready for even the coldest winter night. Here are some occasions that are just made for leggings:
- You want an extra layer in the winter. Try using thick leggings to give your winter jeans a break. Then, top your outfit off with a turtleneck and a long coat, and you'll be ready to go anywhere you want.
- Those combat boots you saw on Instagram? You now have an excuse to buy them to rock with a wool-blend legging, a checkered pattern short, and a white long sleeve shirt. Leggings with warmer fabrics are an excellent choice for the winter months.
- Go bold, and use prints or textures on your leggings. Corduroy is making a comeback, so try an edgier outfit and find yourself some corduroy leggings to pair with your favorite winter coat.
- Every time you dare to wear dresses or skirts during the winter, your leggings will be there to keep you comfortable and toasty. Layer a pair of leggings in thick fabric with your favorite dress and flats for an Instagram-worthy outfit that will not give you the chills.
Tips for Wearing Leggings in Winter
Nonetheless, wearing leggings in winter has some downfalls, so here are some tips for when you choose to wear them:
- Remember that snow becomes water. So, try to avoid any light-colored leggings or leggings with thin fabric that can become transparent when wet.
- On that same note, you also want to avoid sheer leggings that won’t necessarily help you stay warm at all. These are best for the fall months or even early spring, but in the winter, they will make your strolls anything but pleasurable.
- Remember, not all leggings are pants. If you don’t get pant-style leggings, remember to wear them under dresses, skirts, or shorts. Wearing them as pants can be risky since your underwear might show through the fabric.
How to Style Leggings
Leggings are so flexible in their use that the limit is non-existent. Here are some terrific ways you can style them:
- Pair them with women’s tunic tops for leggings because these tops have the perfect length to transform your winter leggings into pants without having to layer many pieces.
- Wear leggings with a long knitted sweater. Add a black winter parka, and you will look like you came from a long flight from first class.
- The little black dress -- you know you have one -- can be used in the winter. Get yourself some cozy velvet wool blended leggings, knee-high boots, and a beige fleece coat to be cute but yet stylish.
- To take your dog on a walk, you can look comfortable and create an effortless look at the same time. Use a pair of corduroy leggings and a knee trench coat with some rubber rain boots for the ideal outfit.
- If you feel you need color to spruce up your winter outfit, try leggings and scarves. Keep the basics of your outfit simple, but use accessories like infinity scarfs or colored mittens for a pop of color.
- If winter in your city is not that cold, wearing leggings is still okay. Use a pair of black leggings, a long beige blazer, and some fake snakeskin knee-high pointed boots to achieve an elegant look.
Bottom Line: Are They Good or Not?
Yes, leggings are good for winter. Or any time of the year, for that matter.
Whether you go with jeggings or classic leggings, they are staples that never go out of style. With so many outfit possibilities and their endless versatility, it’s easy to find new outfit ideas to wear every day. All you need is a little bit of creativity, the right pair of temperature-control leggings, and your best accessories to rock your winter style. Browse Lands’ End collections to find your favorite winter styles – including our comfiest leggings.