What Clothes Every Kid Needs for Summer Camp
Summer camp is a fun and exciting time for kids, and parents can make sure their kids are ready to go for a great experience by having the right clothing items available. Durable basics and active summer apparel will help kids of all ages have an incredible time at camp!
Consider the Camp Location, Weather, and Planned Activities
Before you embark on the fun of helping your child get the items they need for his or her summer camp experience, it’s a good idea to account for the specific camp location, weather patterns, and planned activities. Along with great basic clothing items, your child may need specialty apparel. If your child will be attending a music camp, for example, he or she may need a dressy outfit or two for recitals. If your darling daredevil will be attending an extreme sports camp, great athletic shoes and athletic performance clothing may be required. Check the recommendations with the camp paperwork to help guide your packing decisions, and get in touch with the designated contact person with any questions for peace of mind when helping your child pack.
Comfortable, Durable, and Stylish Everyday Basics
If there aren’t specific requirements for camp clothing, well-made staples will often be the best choices. You’ll want to opt for clothing made from quality fabrics that fit your child well. Clothing should be durable but also have comfortable, non-restrictive fabrics that let kids move with ease.
List of Camp Clothing Essentials
Consider the following options when it comes to basics to pack for camp outfits
- Polo shirts: Both girls’ polo shirts and boy styles are comfortable but also look smart and keep your kid ready for anything. Plus, polos come in every color of the rainbow from pretty pastels to classic white and black.
- Cargo shorts: Cargo shorts are very versatile as well as durable and great-looking for kids of all ages. The pockets are handy for kids to keep important items on hand.
- Chinos or khaki shorts: Neutral color, lightly tailored shorts for girls or shorts for boys are another top option. These versatile shorts will look great with any top, and can withstand outdoor and other activities.
- Short-sleeve button-up tops: Lightweight button-up tops are perfect options for spring and summer. The button-up style is cool and crisp and easy to layer. Find styles ranging from fun prints to simple solids.
- Capri pants: Capri pants are excellent choices for outdoor activities like hiking or nature walks. These are also good for evening activities since they have more fabric than shorts and will keep kids slightly warmer if the air begins to chill.
- Skorts for girls: Girls will love looking stylish as well as staying comfortable and modest in skorts.
- T-shirts: Available in a range of styles for every kids’ fashion preferences, T-shirts are the ideal standby for camp. Soft, comfortable, and easy to pair or layer with anything, you can find T-shirts with many options, like V-neck, crew-neck, pockets, and more.
- Hoodies and light jackets: It might be summer camp, but it’s still a good idea for kids to pack a hoodie and/or lightweight jacket. The weather could get chillier than expected, or kids may need the extra layer for early-morning hikes or evening campfires.
- Light cardigans or pullover sweaters: These are a light, stylish option to add an extra light layer when needed.
- Denim shorts and pants: These classic, durable options look great with all types of tops and hold up well.
Activewear and Swimwear
Along with the above basics, your child will also likely need an assortment of swimwear and activewear. From indoor pools to natural lakes, a great swimsuit, cover-up, and rash guard can help kids feel comfortable and confident in the water. Packing a personal swim or beach towel can also be a good idea. Good activewear items should be moisture-wicking and lightweight but still durable enough to see kids through sports, outdoor activities, and physical games or contests. Consider having your child pack:
- Athletic shorts (elastic waistbands will keep him or her comfortable and adjust to the waist perfectly)
- Performance T-shirts with quick-dry materials
- Sleeveless athletic tops or tanks
- Long, lightweight athletic pants
- Activewear zip-up or pullover jackets
- Leggings or yoga pants (if permitted)
Other Camp Clothing Basics
There are also a few other items that will be essential to pack for camp. These include:
- Underwear/sports bras
- Undershirts or camisoles
- Appropriate footwear (athletic shoes, hiking boots, etc. as needed for the type of camp)
- Rain jacket
- Sun hat, baseball cap, and/or visor
- Light backpack or sling bag
Don’t Forget the Accessories and Extras
For a great camp experience, kids will also need to have important accessories and personal items. These may include things like hair bands or kids’ headbands, reusable water bottles, flip-flops to wear for leisure time or in showers, and more. Parents should check in advance if the camp will have a theme day or days, so they can help children pack appropriate apparel for those days, too.
Be Prepared for the Fun of Camp
Packing the right clothing items kids need for camp will ensure they have an incredible experience at camp. Whether it’s the first time a child has been to an overnight camp, or your son or daughter is a seasoned camper, having fundamental apparel options will keep them confident and comfortable during their camp days.