What are Board Shorts?
Board shorts are a type of men's and women's swimwear that appear more like casual clothing than a swimsuit. They are a great option for someone who wants more coverage than a traditional swimsuit. The shorts are loose-fitting and typically knee length without the netting that swim trunks sometimes have. Board shorts are generally made of polyester or nylon material, which allows them to be waterproof and quick-drying. Originally designed as a bathing suit for surfers, they have gained popularity among both men and women.
How Should Board Shorts Fit?
When shopping for board shorts there are two factors to consider—waist size and length. The fit of the hips is usually not a factor in board shorts because they are meant to be more loose-fitting.
- Waist: Board shorts are loose-fitting but not intended to be baggy. Look for board shorts that are just tight enough to stay up without using the drawstring. This will provide enough support to keep your shorts on while swimming or diving.
- Length: While typical board shorts go to the knee, lengths can vary. The key is to find a pair that is within your comfort level and suits the needs of the activity you will be using them for. You don't want to wear long baggy shorts while playing intense water sports, and shorter tighter shorts may not fit the causal look you are going for.
What to Wear Under Board Shorts
There are several options to choose when it comes to what to wear underneath board shorts. Typically, they are worn without any underwear or swimsuit, however, some wearers prefer to have a little extra protection and support.
- Men: Consider compression shorts, boxers, briefs, boxer-briefs or even a speedo.
- Women: Consider a swimsuit or bikini bottom.
How to Wear Board Shorts
Board shorts are a great option if you enjoy water sports. They provide coverage from sun exposure while surfing, playing beach volleyball, or skiing. However, they are also a good choice for spending the day on the boardwalk, going for a hike, or just to put together a casual beachy look.
- Boardwalk: When you are going to spend the day going from the beach to the boardwalk and back again, board shorts can be the perfect coverup. Pull your shorts on over your swimsuit, throw on a t-shirt, rash guard, or just leave on your swimsuit top, and you are ready to go to lunch, stroll along the boardwalk, or go shopping at your favorite beach-side shops.
- Hiking: Board shorts are a good option when hiking. They are durable, dry quickly, and are comfortable. Pair your board shorts with a long sleeve rash guard and favorite hiking boots to be prepared for a day on the trail.
- The Perfect Beachy Look: Board shorts can be the anchor piece for bringing the casual surfer look to any summer day – water not required. Grab your favorite board shorts, top with a fun summer t-shirt, and slip into a comfortable pair of flip flops.
Where to Buy Board Shorts
Here at Lands' End we have what you need. Our vast selection of board shorts and swimming trunks will help you find the suit of your dreams! We have unique styles for both men and women and size ranges for every body type. We believe every body is a beach body. Let us help you look your best this summer.