Plus-Size Swim Shorts or Plus-Size Swim Skirts: Which Works Better for You?
Plus-size swim shorts and skirts are both fabulous options for summer activities. If you're struggling to choose between these two popular styles, get some tips on the advantages of each to help you decide.
Benefits of Plus-Size Swim Shorts
Plus-size swim shorts make it easy to look great during your busy summer. These are not only stylish but also extremely functional. They can be made from traditional swimwear fabric, but some are made from lighter weight, quick-dry fabrics that make it a breeze to help the water evaporate after every swim. If you're a lady who likes to get in and out of the water often, these could be a great option.
- Sporty Style: Your style personality comes into play anytime you purchase clothing, whether it be a winter coat, an entire outfit, or swimwear. If you typically favor sporty styles or find that's what you prefer in swimwear, then swim shorts could be right for you. The look is inspired by athletic shorts, so they have that fun sporty vibe you might want.
- Perfect for Casual Wear: Plus-size swim shorts also have a slightly more casual vibe than swim skirts. Although most swimwear takes its cue from breezy summer days, lots of variations and subtle nuances exist among pieces. Swim shorts are perfect for casual picnics, water parks, family outings, lake trips, and so much more.
- Ideal for Summer and Water Sports: If you enjoy any sports during the summer, swim shorts can also be a top choice. Since the styles mimic athletic shorts but also have the special features you need to wear in and out of the water, you'll feel comfortable and confident whether you're winning a game of beach volleyball, surfing, swimming, running along the beach, or playing Marco Polo with the kids at the neighborhood pool.
- Lots of Length Options: Swim shorts also come in a wide range of lengths, so you can easily find the ones that feel best to you. Find short lengths that hit well above the knee, medium lengths that sit just above the knee, and longer board short styles that feel cool and comfortable.
The Long and the Short of Swim Shorts
Shorts may also have details such as:
- Pockets for handy storage and convenience
- Drawstring waists for extra adjustability
- Options for attached panties
- Available as plus-size sun protection swimwear, depending on the specific shorts style
- Water-repellent finishes available
- Look awesome with rash guards and athletic tees
Advantages of Plus-Size Swim Skirts
Plus-size swim skirts are also a terrific option. These offer the flawless combination of cute and sophisticated styles all in one package. Consider these elements when deciding if swim skirts are right for you.
- Effortless Elegance: If you're looking for a swim bottom that has a stylish silhouette and an elegant feel, a cute plus-size swim skirt is ideal. While swim shorts are stylish in a sporty way, swim skirts have a more streamlined look that is ideal for ladies who prefer sleeker styles. They are perfect to wear for get-togethers, evenings at the beach, dates, vacations, and everyday wear.
- Easy to Mix and Match: Since many swim skirts are made using swimwear fabrics, they look like a perfectly matched set when paired with any swim top. Choose from tankinis, strapless swim tops, cap-sleeve swim tops, bikini tops, and more. Since the designs are modest and have more coverage than a standard swim bottom, you may even be able to wear your swim skirt without a cover-up if you wish. Since some designs are sportier and made with quick-dry fabrics, those can be paired easily with cute rash guards as well as standard swim tops.
- So Many Design Options and Lengths: If you're leaning toward a swim skirt, you're not relegated to one style. You can choose from lengths including mini, mid-length, and longer versions. Styles include straight, straight with small slits, A-line, and even designs with pleats, ruffles, and other embellishments.
Down to the Last Detail
When you are considering swim skirts, other aspects to think about include:
- Swim skirts are available as plus-size high-waisted bathing suits. Some have thick elastic waistbands for comfort and style, while others offer smaller elastic waists.
- Many swim skirt styles come with the option for tummy control.
- Tons of colors and prints are available, from bright polka dots to classic black.
- Some versions are available with leggings for extra modesty.
- Some styles come with sun protection.
Why Not Get One of Each?
Let's face it, your summer calendar is filled with lots of activities. The perfect solution might not be deciding whether plus-size swim shorts or a plus-size swim skirt is right for you — it might just be picking up one of each! They can be mixed and matched with everything from a plus-size tankini to a bikini top or T-shirt. Having both on hand also means you have options for every summer outing and event.