How to Layer With Sweaters
Layering with sweaters is an art form. It's not something that can be mastered overnight. However, you don't have to consider yourself a fashionista to become skilled in the art of layering with women's sweaters. Knowing how to layer is useful, especially in the cooler seasons when you know you will be wearing more sweaters and want to add texture and dimension to your sweater-themed outfits. If you are looking for a refresher for wearing sweaters and finding new ways to layer them with other pieces in your closet, you've come to the right place. We've come up with a few helpful tips on how to layer with sweaters and create even more fun, vibrant, and stylish outfits.
A Layer Over the Sweater
Depending on the fit, material, and thickness of a sweater, there are many ways to layer it underneath other articles of clothing. Things like light spring or fall jackets look great over a cashmere sweater when you need some extra warmth on a crisp day.
- With a Denim Jacket: A denim jacket is a wardrobe staple. If you don't have one hanging in your closet, invest in one. There are so many ways you can wear a denim jacket, and one way is by throwing it on over a sweater. Depending on the size and the fit of the denim jacket, you can either wear it with a form-fitting sweater or even with an oversized sweater. It just depends on how you coordinate the pieces and how you feel in each.
- With a Blazer: Both men and women can look very dapper with the blazer over a sweater combination; it just depends on the style, color, and material of both the sweater and the blazer. If you are feeling very posh and have an important, yet semi-casual event to attend, try the sweater and blazer pairing. Women can also try this look with a blazer over a sweater dress and finish the outfit with a pair of ankle boots.
- A Jumper Dress Over a Sweater: If you want to wear a women's dress and a sweater simultaneously, this is one way to do it. Invest in a jumper dress and throw it on over a sweater. It's an ultra-chic and cute look that works well in the cooler seasons but is particularly trendy in the fall. The added benefit of the jumper dress and sweater combo is that it goes with several footwear styles, including ankle boots, mid-calf boots, sneakers, and ballet flats. Just remember that if you combine a jumper dress with a sweater, it's best to keep everything solid-colored, like a white turtleneck sweater underneath a deep purple jumper dress.
A Layer Under the Sweater
There are plenty of fun ways to layer various tops underneath a sweater.
- The Oversized Sweater: If the goal of layering with a sweater is not only to add greater dimension to the look but also to ensure more warmth, then layer an oversized sweater over a camisole or tank top. Something like a beige oversized sweater over a white tank top with boyfriend or skinny jeans and a pair of white sneakers is the ultimate laid-back cool-girl look. It works in both the spring and summer and you can wear it when you're out running errands or watching your kids' sports game.
- The Collar Look: If you want to achieve a look that's slightly less casual and more polished, add a collar. Wear a ribbed sweater over a collared white blouse. You can finish the outfit with a pair of skinny jeans or a midi skirt and a pair of ballet flats.
- Layering With Cardigans: One of the simplest, easiest, and most classic ways to layer with a sweater is by throwing on an open cardigan over virtually any top, whether it's a cami, T-shirt, long-sleeve shirt, or blouse. An open, button-up cardigan is like a jacket for the indoors. It will give you that added oomph of warmth and can nicely complement the rest of your outfit, whether it's casual denim jeans and a tank top or more professional attire like a blouse and pencil skirt.
- A Cotton Dress Under a Sweater: Another way to strike a casual yet trendy look is by wearing an oversized sweater or another type of loose sweater over a cotton dress. It's exactly as comfy as it sounds, but it doesn't come across as sloppy or disorganized. A white oversized sweater over a gray cotton dress and a pair of sneakers will look good both in the office and when taking a personal day.
As you can see, there are countless ways to layer with sweaters, so don't be afraid to get creative and mix it up the next time the weather gets chilly.