Find Your Most Flattering Mastectomy Swimsuit
The right mastectomy swimsuit will be well constructed, flattering, and fit your personal style. Check out these tips on shopping for swimwear that meets your needs and makes you feel your best.
Look for a High-Quality Swimsuit
Women looking for a mastectomy swimsuit have more options than ever before, but there are specific features to consider for finding a flattering suit that makes you feel comfortable. Modern clothing and swimwear manufacturers have made strides in creating garments designed with a range of women’s needs in mind, but not all brands are created equally. Look for high-quality construction such as four-way stretch, double-stitched seams, and a full lining that will help ensure your swimsuit will hold its shape, fit well, and flatter your figure without sagging or tugging.
Consider Design Features
There are also some special design features to consider. These include:
- Higher arm and necklines: Slightly higher arm and necklines are specially designed in some mastectomy swimsuits for reinforced coverage, security, and comfort. The necklines are stylish and come in a variety of looks and heights to provide an optimal level of coverage and support so you can have the style you want that makes you feel great.
- Soft bra cups with supportive prosthesis pockets: Look for styles that are designed with soft, comfortable prosthesis pockets that offer good support and solid construction. This can provide extra security, comfort, and peace of mind.
- The right fabric: Your suit should be able to stretch and move with you, but at the same time provide solid support and fit your body well. Look for quality fabric blends that are built to stand up over time and keep their shape. A good option is a nylon and spandex blend. There are also specialty fabrics, such as Lycra® Xtra Life™, that offer more longevity and help suits look newer longer. The best fabrics will resist breaking down from chlorine, sunscreen, UV rays, salt water, and more.
- Designs that stay in place: Consider swimsuit designs that are made to resist shifting during movement. Sometimes called “Tugless” styles, these are made to stay in place even when you are active on the beach or at the pool.
- Tank-style, adjustable straps: Rather than very thin straps, look for tank-style straps that offer support. Adjustable straps are also ideal for making sure your suit has a custom, tailored fit and goes up high enough for your comfort.
- UPF coverage: A UPF factor of 50 is recommended for swimsuits, swim tees, and other swim or beach clothing.
- Figure-enhancing features: You may also want to look for figure-enhancing features, such as tummy-control swimwear, ruched busts, and two-toned or multi-pattern looks.
Choose Styles That Make You Feel Your Best
There are lots of options in colors, styles, and designs in mastectomy suits. If you prefer a modest one-piece swimsuit, you can find flattering looks on solid colors ranging from classic black to brilliant turquoise. There are also plenty of mix-and-match options if you prefer a two-piece suit. An added advantage to two-pieces is that with so many options for tops and bottoms, you create many looks (and feel like you are wearing a new suit all summer).
Start from the Top
Options for stylish mastectomy swim tops include:
- High-neck tankini tops: High with soft scoop necklines, these are modest yet flattering and stylish. The high neckline also helps provide more sun protection.
- Mid-level scoop necklines: The scoop is classically flattering and sophisticated, so it works for all body types. A mid-level scoop provides the perfect balanced look.
- Square-neck tankini tops: Contemporary and flattering, a square neckline’s universal appeal looks great on any woman. It’s still high enough to provide coverage, but with that added style. A square neckline also gives the look of a narrower waist and hips because it draws the eye horizontally at the shoulders.
- Sweetheart necklines: Although fewer mastectomy swimsuits are designed with sweetheart necklines than other styles, this is an option for women who prefer that classic feminine look. These may come with prosthesis pockets and underwires.
Choose the Best Bottoms
After selecting the right top, you’ll need to decide on which bathing suit bottoms you prefer. Choose a couple of styles so you have options for different occasions and activities. You may want to check out:
- Bathing suits with skirts: These provide plenty of coverage and look great, too. The skirt length is short enough to participate in swimming and water activities easily, but still modest enough to wear comfortably anywhere.
- Swim shorts: Great for water sports and swimming, walking on the beach, or enjoying outdoor pool parties, swim shorts are a cute option to pair with tankinis or other swim tops.
- Mid-rise bikini bottoms: These traditional bikini bottoms fit and flatter everyone and are a good classic choice.
- High-rise bikini bottoms: High-rise bikini bottoms give a little more coverage. They may also be enhanced with tummy control.
Score Some Stylish Swimwear Solutions
With an array of colors and designs, from floral prints and polka dots to geometric patterns and vivid solids, there are many options in mastectomy swimwear. By focusing on the key features that will provide optimal coverage and support, as well as choosing styles and designs that will fit your personality, you can feel fabulous at the beach and pool this summer. Finish your look with great swim women's cover-ups, sunglasses, slip flops, and a beach bag for summer fun in the sun!