The Best Skirts for Work
The best skirts for work are stylish, well-made, and comfortable enough to keep you feeling great throughout the workday. Have the confidence that comes from looking and feeling your best with these versatile skirt options.
Find the Perfect Skirt Length for Work
Unless you work at a job that allows you to wear what you want, you can choose a skirt that falls just above the knees. This length can work for spring or summer, especially for casual workplaces. A skirt that falls at the knees or longer is a great choice for some workplaces as well. There are lots of options, one of which is a knee-length skirt, though there are also calf and ankle-length styles to choose from. You can pair them with a variety of shirts and blouses to create fashionable work outfits.
Savvy Skirt Styles for Work
Besides length, the style of the skirt itself is also important for creating a professional appearance. Popular skirt styles that can work well for offices and other places of business include:
- Straight or pencil skirts. Options with fabric blends that have some stretch or slight side or back slits can help with ease of movement.
- A-line skirts. These are flattering and very versatile pieces for your work wardrobe.
- Flare or semi-flare. These skirts have a softer look and can be great for work, especially in longer versions like midi skirts.
- Wrap skirts. Another popular and flattering style, these pieces work well for most body types and have extra fashion flair.
- Skorts. Good for more casual work environments or dress-down days at workplaces with standard business dress or smart casual dress codes.
- Active skirts. Ideal for casual workplaces or for jobs that require more ease of movements like teaching, animal care, retail, and more.
Fabulous Skirt Fabrics for Your Job
The material also comes into play. You want your skirt to help you look your best, but you also want to be comfortable throughout your day, too. Look for options that resist wrinkles, hold up well over time, and are designed to look smart while being comfortable. Options include:
- Denim, especially dark or colored versions
- Jersey knit fabrics
- Chino styles with crisp cotton-polyester blends
- Cotton blends with a touch of Spandex or Lycra
- Rayon blends, which drape beautifully
- Washed cotton for extra softness and durability
- Polyester blends, which resist fading and hold up well over time
- Ponte fabric with rayon and nylon for style and comfort
- Wool, which is a classic and stylish work skirt staple
- Jacquard fabric with rich textures to give your work look an extra boost of style
- Corduroy, which is perfect for winter workwear
Skirt Designs, Colors, and Prints
Because so many modern workplaces have adopted smart casual or business casual dress codes, it makes it easier than ever for you to have options in their career attire. In many cases, you can take your pick among your favorite colors, skirt designs, and prints to showcase a polished, put-together look for work. A few simple tips to remember in choosing skirt design and colors for work include:
- Prints, especially subtle or classic ones like stripes, plaid, polka dots, can look wonderful for work. Just be careful not to pile on too many prints at once. If your work skirt is in a print, choose a matching print or other solid pieces to coordinate it with.
- Neutral colors can be a go-to option for work that saves time. Skirts that come in gray, navy, black, white, charcoal, cream, and other neutrals can pair with almost anything in your closet to help you put together outfits quickly on busy mornings. Try throwing on a khaki skirt with a solid color top or a black skirt with a bright color blouse.
- Seasonal prints, like florals in spring or summer or Fair Isle prints in winter, can also be worn for work. Choose classic solid-color pieces to complement your look and let the skirt print stand out.
- Skirts with color can also work for the office. Classic bright colors, deep jewel tones, and pretty pastels can work with items like a crisp women's white blouse and polished sweater sets or cardigans you already have in your closet. Some colors, like neons and metallics, however, are best reserved for casual wear. Keep it classy, and you can still pull off your favorite colors on the job.
- Skirt designs can be fun as well as functional, even for work. Flowy fabrics, comfortable skorts, and dressed-up denim can be worn in many environments—just make sure to check the specific dress code guidelines for your workplace if you are unsure about a particular skirt style.
Wearing Work Skirts That Work for You
No matter what field you are in, your busy workdays demand a great look that allows you to stay focused on your agenda. From the overall style and fabric to the smaller details of print and design, spend some extra time choosing skirt styles that make you look and feel your best during the workday.